Monday, December 22, 2008

6 things I've learned this year


Another meme, this one from my bloggy friend Rachael, about 6 things I've learned this year. This one looked like fun! Here's some things I've learned (I'm sure there were more, but I'm too exhausted from the year to see things clearly!!).

  • That I haven't got my super-powers yet (what's going on here?). I can't teach Sunday School, lead a women's Bible study, write 3 long EQUIP book club posts, 7 blog posts and 1/2 a Sola Panel post every week, AND spend time with God and love my family and friends - surprisingly. And that when I forget I'm not superwoman, I get really, really tired and a little down. Bring on the holidays!
  • That sometimes I love spending time with God, and other times (like at the moment) it's really, really hard work - but I guess it's still worthwhile? Yes, I know it's still worthwhile. I do. Really.
  • That God takes away my anxiety when I ask him to, then I forget this and go back to old habits of worrying, then he takes away my anxiety when I ask him to, then I forget this and go back to old habits of worrying, then he takes away my anxiety when I ask him to. That God means what he says (Philippians 4:6-7).
  • That the Bible does have answers for big issues like anxiety disorders, depression, and addictions - something I've always wondered (thanks, Martyn Lloyd-Jones and Ed Welch). That it's easier to say this than to live it, especially when you're tired. That sometimes it's best to stop trying to change yourself and just ask God to change you - or to stop tinkering and look.
  • That I'm getting old. I wake with the birds, I'm wearing my new reading glasses right now, and I'm getting hard of hearing (something I inherited, not totally due to turning 40!). I do that thing people do when you say "Happy birthday" and they think you say "Hippo by the way". Inside, of course, I'm still 30. Worryingly, that's actually starting to sound youthful.
  • That God wants older women (like me) to teach younger women about biblical womanhood (Titus 2:3-5 - thanks, Carolyn Mahaney). That God made men and women to display Christ's eternal love affair with the church (Ephesians 5:22-33 - thanks, John Piper). That women can be strong, tender and beautiful, all at once (1 Peter 3:1-7 - thanks, John Piper). That this kind of beauty increases with age (thankfully). That I'm a very slow learner.
  • And one extra (you know by now I always go one over): that blogging is fun, demanding, relaxing, exhausting, distracting, exciting, absorbing, thought-provoking, worrying, enjoyable, time-absorbing, encouraging, intriguing, vulnerable-ing, and too many other "ings" to think of right now. And that it's a great way to make some very dear friends.
Rachael tagged me to do this meme, and she's tagged most people I'd want to tag - except Ali, Honoria and Sandra. Go, girls!

1 comment:

Rachach said...

Ah Jean,
what an encouraging blog.
It is one thing to know these things in your head but to see them lived out in another person makes them beleivable in your heart. It certainly gives me more motiviation to pray, read my Bible and trust God for the year to come.

I especially liked the bit about spending time with God.I had given up this year, but after reading your blog and Nicole's I feel convicted to make time for it and to not worry if it isn't always enjoyable, because it is always beneficial.

I look forward to reading your blog again next year.
Merry Christmas!
Love Rachel