Saturday, December 22, 2007

goodbye for now

Having started the school holidays with a leaking roof and a waterfall through the ceiling (ah, the sweet fragility of life) I turn my thoughts to summer holidays. We're going away to Apollo Bay immediately after Christmas, and I'm taking a break from blogging for a few weeks.

It's hard to believe I only started blogging a couple of months ago. It's been a crazy roller coaster ride, alternating between exhilaration and despair, fun and frustration. I need a few weeks off to clear my head, and pray about my priorities for next year. But I've thoroughly enjoyed blogging, especially the to-and-fro with you who read it (thanks!) and, above all, the joy of writing. It's under my skin now, so I'll see you back here mid to late January, God willing.

If you've got any feedback or suggestions for the blog, feel free to comment on this post (or message me privately if you want to and if you're a facebook friend).

I'll finish up with one last conversation with Thomas, appropriately themed given the blogger's dependence on technology:

Thomas (4) - "Mummy, what would happen if I didn't have a head?"
Mummy (39) - "Thomas, if you didn't have a head, you would be dead. You can't live without a head."
(Hmmm, let's see where this takes us...perhaps into a meaningful discussion about life and death...)

Thomas - "Mummy, what would happen if I didn't have a body?"
Mummy - "Thomas, if you didn't have a body, you wouldn't be alive. You can live without legs or arms, but not without a body."
(At this point I'm picturing Thomas as a torso and a head, with no limbs attached, a somewhat disturbing picture.)

Thomas - "Mummy, what would happen if I didn't have a nose?"
Mummy - "Thomas, if you didn't have a nose, you wouldn't be able to breathe, or smell anything. Well, actually, you would be able to breathe through your mouth, but you couldn't smell anything."
(Well, accuracy is important, isn't it?)

Thomas - "Mummy, what would happen if I didn't have eyes?"
Mummy - "Thomas, if you didn't have eyes, you wouldn't be able to see anything."
(This is starting to sound like "There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza"...)

Thomas - "Mummy, what would happen if I didn't have any hands?"
Mummy - "Thomas, if you didn't have hands, you wouldn't be able to touch things, or carry things."
Thomas - "Mummy, if I didn't have hands, I wouldn't be able to hold a computer mouse."

Well, at least he has his priorities right.

It's definitely time to turn off the computer.

Goodbye for now, and have a happy and blessed Christmas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time our clever Thomas was introduced to Cat Stevens - have a look at the lyrics for Moonshadow.

Love, Kath

Jean said...

Here they are...

Cat Stevens - Moonshadow

I'm being followed by a moon shadow
Moon shadow, moon shadow
Leaping and hopping on a moon shadow
Moon shadow, moon shadow
And if I ever lost my hands
Lose my plough, lose my land
Oh, if I ever lose my hands- Oh, if...
I wont have to work no more
And if I ever lose my eyes
If my colours all run dry
Yes if I ever lose my eyes, I won't have to cry no more.
Yes, I'm being followed by a moon shadow
Moon shadow, moon shadow
Leaping and hopping on a moonshadow
Moon shadow, moon shadow
And if I ever lose my legs
I won't moan and I won't beg
Oh if I ever lose my legs- Oh if...
I won't have to walk no more
And if I ever lose my mouth
All my teeth, north and south
Yes, if I ever lose my mouth- Oh if...
I won't have to talk...
Did it take long to find me
I ask the faithful light
Did it take long to find me
And are you going to stay the night
I'm being followed by a moon shadow
Moon shadow, moon shadow
Leaping and hopping on a moon shadow
Moon shadow, moon shadow
Moon shadow, moon shadow