Sunday, January 18, 2009

John Owen on despondancy and unbelief

There is not any thing that, in our communion with him, the Lord is more troubled with us for, if I may say so, than our unbelieving fears, that keep us off from receiving that strong consolation which he is so willing to give to us.

- John Owen, On the Mortification of Sin (Carlisle, PA: Banner of Truth Trust, 2000), 77.

HT Of First Importance

No, I'm not doing a series on unbelief - not at the moment, anyway! But no doubt it will come up in just about all of my posts. For we all struggle with unbelief. Every time I'm anxious or desponding I doubt God's goodness, every time I'm proud I doubt God's greatness, every time I wallow in guilt I doubt God's grace. Unbelief is at the root of all my sin and every one of my fears. God help us to trust his love and goodness this year!

No comments: