At the end of this post, I'm going to invite you to join me.
I swore I'd never jog, but this being the year of more exercise, I gave it a go, using the iPhone app. And - surprise! - I love it.
My legs are a little tired (I've just had a week's break due to illness). But the rest of me feels just fine.
Better than fine. Fantastic!
- I feel fitter (well, duh). Healthier. Stronger.
- It's exhilarating. I feel happier. Less anxious.
- My posture is better. I get less tired walking, or even standing.
- I've rediscovered my waist, and (oddly) my biceps.
- My heart and lungs are stronger. As I jog longer distances, I can feel my breathing deepening and slowing down.
- I even feel the heat of this very hot summer less!
And (did I mention this?) it's actually FUN! Yes, hard - there have been weeks when I thought, "I'll stop right here" - but fun.
Couch to 5K is a very well-designed program.
Every time I go off-program - take it more slowly, or double up on a day - I realise I was actually ready for the next step.
Sometimes you feel like you can't go any further, but on the whole you make slow, steady progress, and surprise yourself with how good you feel.
So does anyone want to join me?
Let me know in the comments if you'd like to do Couch to 5K. Tell me when you want to start.
And I'll post a little diary of my experience each week to accompany you along the way.
image is by Ed Yourdon at flickr