Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Little Golden Books quiz

Did you read Little Golden Books as a child? I bet you did! Here are 10 of my favourite quotes from my 10 favourite Little Golden Books. See if you can pick which book they're from!

1. Gubble gubble gubble
I'm a mubble in a pubble

2. First came the big black engine, puffing and chuffing. Then came the box cars, then the oil cars, then the coal cars, then the flat cars.

3. Green as cats' eyes
Green as grass
By streams of water
Green as glass.

4. "We're terribly late and the train won't wait." ...
"We're a speedy pair. We can get you there."

5. The wind that blows away the thistle
Light as the little birds whistle and sing
And the little boy whistling in the spring

6. "I was meant for bigger things."

7. If I write a letter
and mail it
to someone I love,
someone I love
may write a letter to me.

8. Then he opened the box and out came the teeniest-weeniest teeny teeny teeny weeny weeny weeny little dog in all the world.

9. His wheels began to say over and over again, "Do you like butter? Do you?"

10. And here he is where he wants to be -
A sailor sailing the deep green Sea.

Put your guesses in the comments (except for my mum, who has an unfair advantage, since she read most of these to me as a child - although I bet there's one even she can't pick!).

I'll tell you the answers (and my 10 favourite Little Golden Books) next week.

6 comments:

Meredith said...

Well, number three must be "The Colour Kittens", which was my childhood favourite.

Jean said...

Well done Meredith! It's my son Andrew's favourite too.

mattnbec said...

I don't remember it very well at all, but is number two from "The Little Red Caboose"?

Bec

Jean said...

That's right, Bec! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Number 6 is Scuffy the Tugboat.

Jean said...

That's right!