Tuesday, December 22, 2009

next year on in all honesty

I'll be taking a much needed break from blogging after Christmas. While I'm having a rest, you'll see some archival posts on in all honesty. Do look out for my post on New Year's Eve, when I'll reflect on the past year and the year to come! Around the 20th of January I hope to start blogging regularly again.

I've also been thinking about next year on in all honesty. I'm not planning to tackle one series each term - it's too much pressure for this blogger! Instead, I'll run with several series, and post on them gradually during the year. I don't know exactly what they'll be. But here's some ideas.

how we change
It may look like I've forgotten about my series on change, but I haven't! We've talked how change comes through grace, how it springs from a changed heart, and the nitty-gritty of faith and repentance. There are 4 more chapters to go in Tim Chester's You Can Change.

childcare
I've still got a few posts to write in my childcare series: a review of of Steve Biddulph's Raising Babies, a discussion of the practicalities of childcare, and some stories about real women and how they made the decision to use, or not to use, childcare.

pride
I know, I know, you haven't heard much from me on the topic of pride since the start of this year! I've had a post in mind all year long - but never found time to write it! - on how God wants us to think about our gifts and talents. Who knows, there might be more to come in this series.

discipling your daughter
My daughter is now 11 years old. About a year ago, I decided to start discipling her formally. We've been getting together every couple of weeks to read the Bible using Donna Miller's Growing Little Women. We'd like to try various resources and give each a mother and daughter score. I also hope to tell you about some books and magazines by Vicki Courtney which we enjoyed.

women encouraging women
I feel like I've been thinking about this forever, especially since my series on biblical womanhood! I thought it would be good to throw around some practical ideas for how older women can teach and train young women (Tit 2:3-5). Get ready to share your stories!

teaching Hebrews in Sunday School
Yes, it's nearly time for another Sunday School series on in all honesty! During term 3 next year I'd like to teach Hebrews in our Sunday School. I plan to write my own material, and tell you about it week by week. People often write to me asking for theologically focussed Sunday School material, so I'm hoping this series will be a useful resource for Sunday School teachers and parents.

other ideas
Waiting in the wings are lots of book reviews (I hope!), a discussion on how to approach dating with teenagers, and plenty of random posts. Plus any questions you'd like to raise.

your suggestions
Tell me if there are any topics you'd like me to tackle on in all honesty - just contact me or click here. This is your chance to tell me what you'd like to read and discuss!

images are from stock.xchng except for images of children in heart, women talking and cross, which are from photokraft, jhall987 and minishorts at flickr

3 comments:

Gordon Cheng said...

Jean, always appreciate and follow your blog. Keep going and well done!

The stuff you write about bringing up kids is great. Also appreciate your explaining bits of Bible you are reading.

Go Jean!

Also, have a great Christmas.

Also, great to see Steve at NTE.

Jean said...

Thanks, Gordo. Happy Christmas to you too!! Have a good break over Christmas!

Andrew said...

While I probably don't fit your general demographic for your blog (if there is such a thing for a blog), I really enjoy it, especially as a new parent. Thanks.