Monday, February 9, 2009

we pray and we grieve

The parents of one of the women in my Bible study barely escaped with their lives and lost their home in Saturday's fires.

For those of you who are overseas and praying for us, this is what their community looks like now. Here's an article which describes what's been happening.

Many hundreds of people have lost their homes, and the death toll is over 100 and climbing. We pray for those who've lost homes and loved ones, and we grieve with those who grieve.

Hear my prayer, O LORD;
let my cry for help come to you.
Do not hide your face from me
when I am in distress.
Turn your ear to me;
when I call, answer me quickly.
For my days vanish like smoke;
my bones burn like glowing embers.
My heart is blighted and withered like grass;
I forget to eat my food.
Because of my loud groaning
I am reduced to skin and bones.
I am like a desert owl,
like an owl among the ruins.
I lie awake; I have become
like a bird alone on a roof. ...
I eat ashes as my food
and mingle my drink with tears ...
My days are like the evening shadow;
I wither away like grass.
(excerpt from Psalm 102)

No comments: