Wednesday, March 26, 2008

to the great writers of the past

"To the memory of JOHN OWEN who has wakened hope for many in the darkness of perfectionistic despair."

Having written a PhD on John Owen, and loving the Puritans as I do, not to mention being a perfectionist to the core, I was delighted to find this dedication in John Piper's When the darkness will not lift, which I picked off the shelf this morning hoping it might help with my ongoing coming-and-froing now-you-see-it-now-you-don't state of discouragement.

Speaking of books, if you look at the right of my blog, you'll see a new book list. Here are the books I'm planning to use this year to explore issues like godly womanhood, discouragement, honouring God with our thoughts and emotions, people-pleasing, self-control, and parenting.

A hint about some of the topics you can expect posts on in the months ahead!!

Right now I'm reading Edward T. Welch's When people are big and God is small and John Piper's When the darkness will not lift (which is based on the last chapter in When I don't desire God, which I might have a look at too). You might like to read them along with me.

1 comment:

Ali said...

I love your book list. I am reading When the darkness ... too. I don't know that I will get to ALL the rest of your choices, but I will certainly try for some.