Friday, March 2, 2012

online meanderings: from the mouth of an athiest, better than youth groups, hearing the voice of God, and other stuff

This week, my top picks were these: one by an atheist, and two by Christians.

Is it true? That is the ultimate question - "As an unbeliever my sympathies are with fundamentalists...If a faith is true it must have the most profound consequences for a man and for mankind." Matthew Paris via Vitamin Z.

Why the city is a wonderful place to raise children - "I have often said that the best thing you can do for your teenage children is not to have them in a great big youth group (of other teens as clueless and confused as themselves), but to have lots of young adult, cool, ardently believing friends." Thanks, Kathy Keller.

How do we hear the voice of Jesus? - Now there's a post on how we hear the voice of Jesus that I thoroughly agree with! John Piper. (See also This morning I heard the voice of God. Thanks, David McKay!)

I was encouraged by

Getting sharing your faith on the radar - How to get out there, meet people in the community and share your faith. Great, manageable ideas from Tim Grant. Thanks, bro'!

Gospel-centred living part 3 - "She doesn’t see what she has done as 'giving up work' and, in fact, eschews such terminology. In her mind she hasn’t given up anything, but gained things in loving and serving her Church family." The story of a godly woman.

Honesty - "Have you ever stared at your blank Facebook status update box and felt inept...nothing witting, engaging or thrilling was coming to mind." Thanks, Susie, for an honest expression of what we all sometimes feel - and for pointing us in the right direction.

I was challenged by

When is indecision loveless and sinful - "Have you ever been paralyzed with indecision? I have. It is not a good trait of leadership...'To delay or fail to make decisions may be more sinful than to make wrong decisions out of faith and love.'" Piper on Bonhoeffer.

Lessons in forgiveness - How to say "Sorry" - and receive it. I have something to learn here when it comes to saying sorry to my children. Challies.

Don't assume - “Judge not, that you be not judged” (Matt. 7:1)...After all the necessary qualifications, we must not mute this important command." Read this great list.

I was helped and informed by

Food Tidings - A fantastic website to help you organise a meal roster. HT Nicole.

Forty year old light on how to translate "Son of God" for Muslims - "The potential misunderstanding of 'Son of God' was there from the beginning. The remedy for it was not the rejection of the term. The remedy was the New Testament itself." Piper on Packer.

Did you also know? - Find the repeated sentence: a great key to understanding books of the Bible! Excellent stuff from Meredith.

I was pleased to read

Why incarnational ministry is not the best terminology - It's about time someone said so. Eckhard Schnabel quoted by Justin Taylor.

Heaven's simple logic -"When it comes to praying for spouses, wives outpray husbands by a landslide." Sorry, guys, but he said it, not me. Andrew Case.

Home education paradox - Cathy shatters a few homeschooling stereotypes.

I now want to read these books

Susan Hunt's Prayers of the Bible and Paul David Tripp's Forever - thanks to Challies' Reviews I didn't write

Michael Haykin's The Reformers and Puritans as Spiritual Mentors - thanks to Justin Taylor

and these made me giggle.

Lutheran insulter - "Click the link and Martin Luther will insult you. You know you want to." Challies.

Why study the book of Numbers?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Jean,

I'm really enjoying your online meanderings. The time I get to spend reading online is limited these days, so I quite like being spoon fed some of the 'best of the web' links that you provide.

Thanks!
Sarah

Jean said...

Glad it's helpful, Sarah! It's a bit of an experiment on my part. So it's good to get some feedback.