Saturday, April 19, 2008

an interview about blogging (1) how it all began

My friend Susan recently interviewed me about blogging for RedWhiteYou, an online magazine run by her brother and his Christian friends in Ballarat.

A great chance to do something I've been wanting to do: stop and reflect about the impact of blogging on my life. The interview will be published in early May, but I thought you might enjoy a sneak preview. Here's how it starts:

Do you remember how you first discovered blogging?

Now this will sound bizarre. I woke up one morning last October and thought, “I might start a blog!” I had never read a blog, and had very little idea what they were, but I knew I was interested in writing and encouraging people. I’d been thinking a lot about what my life and ministry would look like now we’ve probably had our last child, and dreaming about possibilities … start a women’s conference? start a training group? do some writing? … when the word “blog” upped and hit me in the face.

What is the purpose of your blog?

To encourage women in their Christian lives. To reflect on how God’s Word affects all the little and big ways we act, think and feel: when we wake up, how we clean the house, how we respond to exhaustion and discouragement.

To be honest about how tough life can be, and how much I stuff things up. To show people – especially Christian women – they’re not alone in their sins and struggles.

To glorify God by telling of his work in me. To show that God is faithful, and wonderful, and loving, and true, even when I’m not.

Along the way, to introduce people to great books, articles, talks and blog posts, especially the great Christian writings of the past, and to share what we can learn from them.

How long have you been blogging for?

I posted my first blog, about personality tests, on 16th October 2007.

2 comments:

mattnbec said...

Hi Jean. Great goals. I'm glad you decided to blog. I find what you write really encouraging, rightly challenging, useful and God-honouring. Thanks.

Rachach said...

Hi Jean,
Can you tell me who is Susan's brother? I looked up the RedWhiteYou site and noticed that a lot of the contributors are old friends of mine (from my old church) and am curious!