Thursday, April 3, 2008

to those who sorrowed and now rejoice

And another dedication, this time from Edward Welch's book Depression: A stubborn darkness:

To my father
W.Edward Welch,

who, on this side of heaven,
after years of depression, guilt and worry,
persisted on an ordinary yet heroic path
with quiet wisdom
and is finding joy

I opened this book today, and was immensely comforted by these words. For only this morning I was longing for heaven: and how far away it seems to this nearly 40 woman!

At this point in life, it feels like the battle has been going on for a very long time, and that it will probably continue for many years to come: the same old sins, the same old discouragement, the same old anxieties, the same ordinary days.

And yet I know I have been richly blessed by God. I enjoy so much, I won't deny it. But even for me it can be hard to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

How much harder it must be for those who are grieving for someone dearly loved, suffering from a chronic illness, or struggling through deep depression!

The "ordinary yet heroic" lives that lead to the joy of our Lord.

No comments: