Today, it's a recipe: my friend Jess's famous dark chocolate torte, easy, delicious and gluten-free. Tomorrow, it's a post about a recipe. Bet you can't wait! [Oops - turns out the photo below is actually of Jess's Swiss chocolate tart. Here's the recipe. Jess tells me the picture below should look more like this or this.]
120g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
120g (2/3 cup) dried dates, pitted and chopped finely
3 egg whites
125g (½ cup) castor sugar
125ml whipping cream
2 tsps castor sugar, extra
30g dark or milk chocolate, grated, extra
1. Preheat oven to 180deg. Line 22cm springform tin with foil.
2. Blend almonds and chocolate in food processor until fine.
3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar and continue beating until dissolved.
4. Fold in almond and chocolate mixture and dates.
5. Spoon mixture into tin and level the surface.
6. Bake 30-35min or until set.
7. Cool in tin before carefully placing on serving plate.
To serve, whip the cream and extra sugar until soft peaks form. Spread the cream over torte. Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
Serve with strawberries either on top or to the side.
Note: Torte can be make up 4 days in advance and stored in a sealed container without cream.
Storage: Torte keeps well, without cream for 5-6 days wrapped in foil. With cream, this is best eaten on the day of baking.